Are you or a loved one looking for an enriching, vibrant and worry-free lifestyle where you no longer have to worry about maintenance or household tasks? What about a lifestyle that allows you to get the care you desire and deserve whenever you need it? If this sounds like something you’ve been dreaming about, look no further. Everything you desire can be found in a Life Plan Community.
According to Yolanda White, Administrator at The Village at Summerville, a Life Plan Community in Summerville, SC, Life Plan Communities offer the retirement lifestyle many seniors have always dreamed of obtaining. “At a Life Plan Community, seniors can receive a full continuum of care right at their fingertips, but until that’s needed, they can enjoy everything their new, active lifestyle has to offer,” says Yolanda. “From engaging programming where seniors can try something new and clubs where they can continue favorite hobbies to exciting trips and outings and opportunities for relaxation, there’s something for everyone to love, no matter what their preferences and needs for care are.”
Before choosing a Life Plan Community, it’s crucial to take tours to discover where you fit best and choose the community that will best be able to fit your future care needs. Be sure to do your research and choose a variety of locations, both near your family and further away, as the perfect Life Plan Community could be just within the next town or city. Make a list of Life Plan Communities you’d like to tour and schedule your appointments.
What to Look for When Choosing a Life Plan Community
Once you’ve narrowed down which Life Plan Communities to tour, make sure you are looking for the right services and amenities. You also want to be sure you are asking the right questions. Consider some of the following things you should look for when choosing a Life Plan Community.
- Does the location seem appealing to you? Be sure to consider the location of the community you are touring. If you like wide open spaces, don’t choose a community situated right in the city. If you thrive on action and engaging with others, a city might be the perfect option for you. Most people find they prefer the best of both worlds, access to the surrounding town or city, but a gorgeous community with courtyards, gardens and lush landscaping.
- Are the living arrangements spacious enough to meet your needs? Tour each of the different floor plans throughout the community and choose the one that will work best for you. If you prefer lots of space, you’ll want to choose accordingly. Would you like an extra bedroom in case you have a visitor? Be sure to ask to tour floor plans with more than one bedroom.
- Do they offer programs and activities you like? Upon touring the community, ask for an activities calendar. Take a quick scan to see if there are any you might be interested in. If you notice a particular hobby you have is not on the calendar, ask if you can start your own club based on it. If you like adventure and trips, don’t forget to ask what some of the recent outings have been and what they do during different seasons.
- Are there opportunities to nurture your spirit? If you like to spend time meditating on your own or attending church services, you’ll want to be sure you choose a Life Plan Community that fulfills that need. Ask if they have bible studies, groups or chaplains on site to help nurture your spirit.
- Try some fitness classes and wellness programs. Some Life Plan Communities will let you try classes ahead of time to see how you like them. If these fitness classes or exercise groups are not on the activities calendar, be sure to ask the person leading the tour what is commonly offered.
- If you like to spend time outdoors, consider the environment. Many communities have outdoor walking paths, ponds and gardens for seniors to enjoy. During your tour, if it’s nice out, ask to go outside and experience it for yourself.
- Are there enough opportunities for privacy and relaxation? If you like peace and quiet, consider how you could obtain that in the community you choose. Is there a library where you can relax and read a good book? What about a spa where you can feel rejuvenated? If you want to have a quiet and private meal with friends and family, do they offer a place where you can do so?
- Investigate the cost. When talking about finances, be sure to ask how costs may change as your care needs go up so you aren’t shocked if there comes a change in price. Also ask what services are included in the monthly fee and what you may pay extra for.
If you’d like more information on choosing the right Life Plan Community for you, talk to our experts at The Village at Summerville. We’d be happy to show you around our Life Plan Community and help you get a taste of all we have to offer. Contact us to schedule your tour today.
Enriching Senior Living
Welcome to The Village at Summerville, a 84-acre Life Plan Community in Summerville, South Carolina, just minutes from historic downtown Charleston. From magnificent trees, walking trails, small ponds, fountains and a peaceful prayer garden to multiple indoor retreats – bungalow-style patio homes, brick cottages, apartments, a wellness center and chapel – you’ll discover just how enriching senior living can be.
Longevity & Innovation as a Life Plan Community
The Village at Summerville is a Life Plan Community, offering a wide range of senior lifestyles and services including independent living, assisted living, skilled nursing care and short-term rehabilitation.
We believe a Life Plan Community should allow future planning and living to merge. Having a plan in place – and the security of access to a continuum of healthcare services – grants residents the freedom to live life to the fullest.
A Legacy of Service
As one of the Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina, The Village at Summerville is a compassionate Christian ministry committed to enriching the quality of life for seniors of all faiths. Built on the values of relationships, service, teamwork and excellence, we ensure our mission and faith are honored daily. While striving to create the highest quality of retirement lifestyles for our residents, we work each day to enrich the spiritual, physical, and emotional well-being of seniors and their families, with our deep heritage leading the way.
Learn more about The Village at Summerville. Contact us today!