When seniors and their families are searching for an independent living community for themselves or their loved one to call home, they may be shocked by the range of options that are available. There are plenty of independent living communities out there, and no two are ever the same. While this may be overwhelming, it’s a good thing, because no two people are the same, and that includes their preferences in independent living.
According to Karen Nichols, Executive Director at The Foothills Retirement Community, a life plan community in Easley, SC, it’s very important to know what you are looking for when considering an independent living community. “When many seniors begin their search, they aren’t quite sure what they are looking for. Do they want a community that will offer a worry-free lifestyle where they can relax or do they want a vibrant, engaging community where there’s always something going on? The answer depends on the person,” says Karen. “Perhaps a senior wants both. There’s often a lot to consider, from location and programming to future care needs and proximity to family, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg. Don’t let all this overwhelm you, have fun with it – your possibilities are endless.”
Before Seniors Search for Independent Living: A Guide
Prior to your search, it’s important to sit down and really think about what you are looking for, how much you’d like to pay and so on. Consider some of the following points:
- Location, location, location. If you love to go out and about and explore the town and be active in your community, you wouldn’t choose an independent living community that’s out in the country. Consider your preferences. Do you like the peace and quiet of the country or the bustle of the city? Do you want to be closer to family and friends or do you want to discover somewhere new? Now is the time to explore all of your options and really evaluate what you want.
- How much can you afford? There’s nothing worse than deciding exactly what you want out of an independent living community and finding the perfect one, only to find out that you just can’t afford it. Did you plan ahead for the cost of independent living and save money or will you look into benefits such as Veterans Aid and Attendance? Talk to a financial advisor to see what your options are and consider what you can manage.
- What programs do you need? Are you an avid crafter or do you enjoy playing games? Do you spend each morning working out and each evening relaxing with friends? Make a list of all of your essentials and the things you love to do. Take this list with you whenever you tour an independent living community. Do they offer clubs and programs that contain your favorite hobbies? Can you start you own club so you can share your talents? Be sure to keep this in mind before you choose.
- Do you want to live alone? Some independent living communities offer suites where you can either live with a friend or you can also choose to have a space all to yourself. Consider if you want more privacy or if you’d love nothing more than to share your days with your best friend.
- Will you prefer care be available later on? Some seniors would like the peace of mind of knowing that care will be ready right on site if they ever come to need it. This can be an advantage because you will not have to move out of the community that you love or leave the friends that you have made.
Once you have decided what is important to you and come to a definitive plan, it’s time to start considering your independent living options. Find a few communities you may be interested in and schedule tours. Not only will a tour help you to discover what an independent living community is like, but it will help you decide if it’s the right fit for you and your needs. If you visit a few and are finding that they aren’t exactly what you pictured, keep touring other communities. If you find one that you think feels like home, visit again and ask to participate in some of their programming and activities, as this can give you an even better idea of what to expect upon moving in.
Assisting You in Your Search for Independent Living
For more information or to learn more about what seniors need to know before considering independent living, feel free to contact our caring team of experts. We would be glad to help you decide what is most important to you when considering independent living and point you in the right direction for your search. Please contact us today.
Senior Care With Small-Town Charm
Welcome to The Foothills Retirement Community, a gorgeous 68-acre, full-service Life Plan Community located adjacent to Easley, South Carolina. Offering residents scenic views in an environment of natural beauty and a wide range of engaging lifestyles to match their needs, our residents live engaging lives in an environment that’s truly home.
Residents of our community enjoy the southern charm of small-town life with the connections and culture of the nearby collegiate atmosphere. At The Foothills Retirement Community, seniors don’t just receive the amenities and services they desire – they live each day to the fullest in a community that is thoughtfully designed to provide engaging opportunities all while having that small-town charm.
Longevity & Innovation as a Life Plan Community
The Foothills Retirement Community is a Life Plan Community, offering a wide range of senior lifestyles and services including independent living, assisted living, memory care, skilled nursing care and short-term rehabilitation.
We believe a Life Plan Community should allow future planning and living to merge. Having a plan in place – and the security of access to a continuum of health care services – grants residents the freedom to live life to the fullest.
A Legacy of Service
As one of the Presbyterian Communities of South Carolina, The Foothills Retirement Community is a compassionate Christian ministry committed to enriching the quality of life for seniors of all faiths. Built on the values of relationships, service, teamwork and excellence, we ensure our mission and faith are honored daily. While striving to create the highest quality of retirement lifestyles for our residents, we work each day to enrich the spiritual, physical, and emotional well-being of seniors and their families, with our deep heritage leading the way.
Learn more about The Foothills Retirement Community. Contact us today!